tink: Implement ancillary subcommands

help-wanted
good-first-patch
tink

(Noelle Leigh) #41

PR #23 for deprecate has been submitted.

(Noelle Leigh) #42

Are callback arguments being phased out in this codebase? I see a lot of cb's in npm cli’s code, but none in the tink commands so far. I assume switching to async makes those unnecessary?

(Kat Marchán) #43

yup. We’re going full-on async/await now!

(Miguel Alejandro Bolivar Portilla) #44

Greetings @zkat how’ve you been? I’m continuing the work with the ‘team’ command. I’ve been reading about how it actually works, and I’m trying to use it with npm and I found that in order to create teams and some other operations I need to login, and that’s with ‘npm login’. So now the question is: Should I add the ‘login’ command too? I’m cool with it but I wanted to ask you first before code it at all.

And also when running create() I got an error about the scope: ‘Scope not found’, but I’m sending the registry as ‘scope:name

I’m just hoping not being completely lost at all haha. Thank you :slight_smile: :metal:

(Kat Marchán) #45

No worries about implementing login. npm login works for that, and it’s a bit more involved.

(Miguel Alejandro Bolivar Portilla) #46

I see @zkat. And about the scope problem? I even did a little program and ran it like the docs for create team and it still shows me the error about scope not found :thinking:

(Kat Marchán) #47

Not sure what you’re actually doing or why it fails tbh

(Noelle Leigh) #48

Is there an .eslintrc.json that we should be using while working on these?

(Kat Marchán) #49

We use standard.

(Miguel Alejandro Bolivar Portilla) #50

Greetings. PR #25 for team command is up :metal:

(Beni Von Cheni) #51

Hi @zkat
Attempted to implement tink access ls-packages [enitity] in commit cef334a in the WIP PR.

Ran into a use case when [entity] is not provided & from reading the npm cli access.js code, it seems to fetch the current authenticated user by whoami support . Tested with npm access ls-packages to confirm.

What would you advise in tink to address this use case with tink access ls-packages without [entity]?

Is it a correct assumption to get the authenticated user? (In that case, how do you verify authenticated user via libnpm API?) :pray:

(Kat Marchán) #52

@BeniCheni you can probably wait until @jcar787 finishes the whoami implementation, and then you’ll be able to call it directly. For the time being, just skip the case where [entity] is missing. We’ll fill it in before you’re done.

(Beni Von Cheni) #53

Thanks for previous help, @zkat. I’ve finished ~95% of tink access subcommands, except edit. So believe the WIP PR is good shape for review.

Per tink access edit, I’ve looked through the libnpmaccess doc and couldn’t see a similar API method such as .edit(...). Also tried looking at the npm/cli access.js#L78 parseParams method. I couldn’t seem to find any logic that could map to edit.

Would you mind guiding the approach to implement tink access edit? (the last remaining item to wrap the PR. :cowboy_hat_face::pray:t2:

(Kat Marchán) #54

As I mentioned in the PR, there’s no commands I know of which actually implement edit. And, tbh, I’m fine with it being left out entirely.

If you’re feeling like doing something a bit fun, you can try using ink to implement an interactive team editor, which could be pretty cool, but is a much bigger project. But hey you’d be using react in a CLI and it’d look snazzy af!

EDIT #2: I’m going to split off adding tink <x> edit commands to all the subcommands as a single, unified project. I think it’s definitely bigger than this specific topic and I think it’s better off being done as a single effort with a single design across commands.

(Beni Von Cheni) #55

Thanks for your review, @zkat. The latest update to the PR would be a “wrap” for the tink access subcommand, w. the agreed “TODO” stubs.

I am up for the “fun” to try out the interactive team editor, using ink. (React in CLI sounds definite “futuristic”!) Found this New Search UI topic to see if I could “shadow” the same idea. But if you have any advice other than the “New Search UI” topic, please definitely advise.

I’m also interested in helping out this tink <x> edit idea. But would need to absorb more requirements. Is this topic worth of creating its own topic thread to discuss further?

P.S.:
Last by not least, if you have any other more prioritized tink task to tackle before the Team Interactive UI or unified tink <x> edit, I’m also happy to help out. Just let me know.

(Kat Marchán) #56

That topic and tink: Implement tink view are the main ones experimenting with ink right now, yeah.

I’ll put up a new TODO in #development about doing the edit commands once this topic wraps up!

(Jeff C ) #57

how can I test whoamI?
Thanks in advance :-)

(Alejandro López) #58

Hello @zkat , I have some questions about profile command.

• I’m not sure how to implement login* and adduser* subcommands. I don’t understand the opener and prompter arguments.
  • Should we add the three types of login/adduser?

Thanks!

(Kat Marchán) #59

Don’t bother with those two commands right now. :slight_smile:

(Kat Marchán) #60

@jcar787 don’t worry about testing that right now