Thoughts on implementing package management for my project

(Richard Munn) #1

I’m working on a JavaScript based “fantasy console” that uses DukTape as its javascript backend. Basically users can write JavaScript programs that run on a virtual computer, which has an old-fashioned memory mapped display (the way computers worked in the 80s and 90s before 3D acceleration came along)

It uses a node-style require system to allow code to be split up into libraries, so it would make a lot of sense to be able to publish these libraries to a package manager, and it seems utterly stupid to build your own package manager when evidently npm already exists and does the job well.

Since DukTape implements ES5 and a certain subset of ES6 functionality, it’s not always possible to use every javascript library straight out of the box, so it either needs its own separate repo, or some curated mechanism for flagging compatible packages.

Is there a straightforward way to do such a thing without having to run a “private” repo for code specific for this project? I’ve thought of things like devDependencies and peerDependencies, but that would require the package author to specifically flag their project as compatible with their tool, whereas I really want to be able to do that in reverse

Is there a way to create a curated “playlist” of known compatible modules, perhaps?

(Kat Marchán) #2

We’ve actually talked before about having curated lists on the website that people can follow. This is just another cool example of why it would be useful! :thinking:

(Frédéric Harper) #3

@zkat I can see an awesome-npm repo where we curate that list!?