The limit for the number of links for new users should not count npmjs.com

(Wiktor Walc) #1

I tried to report a bug on npm.community. I spent like 20 minutes trying to workaround the limitation of the number of links that the new user is allowed to enter.

Why as a “new” user I am limited from posting links to packages on npmjs? The spam filter should white list at least domains owned or related to npm.

(Steven) #2

Agreed.

Should this ticket be moved to meta though since it’s about this website? https://npm.community/c/meta

(Kat Marchán) #3

Moved to #meta, where discussions like this belong.

(Kat Marchán) #4

Let’s give this a whirl. I’ll remove it if people start abusing this too.

(Jessica Stokes) #5

Hey, I just signed up today, and I noticed that because npmjs.com forcibly redirects to www.npmjs.com, I think it’s still counting copied links - this whitelist seems to not count subdomains!

(Kat Marchán) #6

Well that’s obnoxious. Maybe * works :thinking:

(Kat Marchán) #7

Done. Can one of y’all give it another whirl?

(Jessica Stokes) #8

Apparently I got to trust level 1 thanks to that post :sweat_smile: so I don’t think I can even test it anymore?

(Kat Marchán) #9

Frankly, fixing this is also fairly low-priority for me because I consider TL1 to be a really really low bar to meet. I explicitly want to encourage folks participating in npm.community to actually participate, not just shoot from the hip.

(Jessica Stokes) #10

That’s totally understandable, but I think being able to post links to npm as a new user is going to be important given this is now the place to report npm issues! Having an issue to report doesn’t really require participating in this forum, so the two concerns seem like they’re competing to some extent.

Does Discourse not provide a way of testing the filter directly with a particular trust level?

(Christopher J Brody) #11

Some minor questions and observations:

• Any way to whitelist links within https://github.com/npm org?
  • In my first post it seemed to count two instances of a link to a CLI PR as two links.
  • In my first post it seemed to count a npmjs.com email address as a link.

(Kat Marchán) #12

Frankly, I just really don’t want users spamming a bunch of links to begin with. I’ve bumped the new user link limit to 5.

If you can’t get a point across with fewer than 5 links before you’ve spent more than 10 minutes on npm.community, I’m pretty comfortable just telling you to ease up on the linking.

(Christopher J Brody) #13

Thanks, definitely sounds reasonable to me.

(system) #14

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.