zkat suggested submitting a PR for npm but wait, how? There are no instructions in CONTRIBUTING.md for how to work on npm.
So I guessed…
- Fork the repo
- Examine the error message.
npm install --global rimraf
- Wait a long time for stuff to start happening
- Wait a long time for tests to run
- Notice that lots of the tests are failing (the first failing test soon scrolled its way out of the terminal buffer, but eventually I Ctrl+C restarted the tests and noticed that the first failing test was “not ok git started up successfully”. But
gitis installed and is in my PATH.)
At this point I wonder,
- What did I do wrong?
- If I make a change, how do I check if it was correct? Do I have to make a new test for the change? If so, how?
- Since the tests take a long time to execute, how do I set up a fast edit-test cycle for the one tiny thing I’m working on?
As I post this, the tests are still going like Energizer bunny… edit results:
4638 passing (30m) 19 pending 57 failing