Package name too similar to existing packages; try renaming your package

(Corey Farrell) #1

I just tried publishing a new module gulp-add-json, received an error about similar existing package on final publish. Is there any work-around for this? I used npm info gulp-add-json before starting the project thinking this verified the name was available. Unfortunately gulp-addjson does exists, appears to be unmaintained (only releases are from 2015).

Is there any process to bypass this error? I don’t want to put this module in a scope and I’m not concerned about people accidentally using the other module.

(Lars Willighagen) #2

There’s no way to “bypass” the error since the new package name rules changed. However, you can address this head-on by disputing the package name.

Probably not the case right now, but the developers of the other module could be concerned about people using yours instead of theirs.

(Corey Farrell) #3

If I were to convince the author of gulp-addjson to turn over ownership of that package name to me, would I then be able to somehow publish gulp-add-json? Or would I be stuck without the second dash?

(Lars Willighagen) #4

Good point, I’m not sure. I think that would be something for npm support (i.e. support@npmjs.com, not the community forum) to figure out, after you’ve contacted the author.

(Corey Farrell) #5

Somewhat related feature request / bug report: we need a way to perform npm is-available <pkg-name>. Before creating a repository with README’s / CI integration and then having npm publish fail. Rather than going through the dispute process I’m thinking of just renaming my package to gulp-add-json-file, though I’m still just hoping that this is actually available. I’m not seeing any close names with npm search gulp-add-json-file but I’m not sure if that’s reliable. I tried using npm-name-cli but it does not seem to report when a name is unavailable due to similar names.

(Lars Willighagen) #6

There’s this post for that feature request:

(system) closed #7

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.