Newly published packages have a delay before they are consumable

registry

(Benjamin Lupton) #1

What I Wanted to Do

Install version 1.0.2 of the errlop package after the CLI said the publish happened successfully.

What Happened Instead

Publish via CI

$ eval "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bevry/awesome-travis/a16fffacc146944edb58d02bbc565bf467099b18/scripts/node-publish.bash)"
running on node version v8.11.3 which IS the desired v8.11.3
releasing to npm...
creating npmrc with auth token...
publishing...
+ errlop@1.0.2
...released to npm

Which uses npm publish --access public behind the scenes.

Go to consume version 1.0.2 which the logs above state was successfully published:

> npm i errlop@1.0.2
npm ERR! code ETARGET
npm ERR! notarget No matching version found for errlop@1.0.2
npm ERR! notarget In most cases you or one of your dependencies are requesting
npm ERR! notarget a package version that doesn't exist.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /Users/balupton/.cache/npm/_logs/2018-07-27T08_42_51_656Z-debug.log

Check the package on the npm website:

Check again while I’m posting this issue:

Reproduction Steps

This has happened to me only twice over the past 2 weeks. Unsure what the conditions are for it.

Searching online these two resources popped up:

Details

How long of a delay should we expect? What circumstances for the delay are there?

Cheers!

(Kat Marchán) #2

As a general rule, the registry is an “eventually consistent” distributed system, and you should expect all the same constraints you would from such systems.

That said, there’s been unusual delays between publish time and availability time recently, sporadically, and the registry team has been hard at work making this go away and having folks go back to the short wait times we’re all used to. There’s not really anything you can do client-side to make this better.

(system) #3

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.