Failing to login from PowerShell - npm Err! code EAUTHIP, Unable to authenticate, need: Basic

cli
registry

(Ben Carp) #1

What I Wanted to Do

from Power Shell I’m trying to login to npm.

What Happened Instead

After typing my username, password and email I get this error.

On this computer I haven’t logged in from Power Shell to npm before.
I can login from the browser to the npmjs website.
I couldn’t find relevant info about this error.

Reproduction Steps

On a windows 10 computer open PowerShell. type npm login. Enter the correct username, password and email.

Details

I can login from the browser to the npmjs website.
I couldn’t find relevant info about this error.
According to the error message:

A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! C:\Users\carpb\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache_logs\2018-07-11T09_15_40_342Z-debug.log
But in my User folder there is no AppData folder.

Platform Info

npm -v prints: 5.6.0
node -v prints: v8.11.3
npm config get registry prints: https://registry.npmjs.org/
Windows 10

This issue was originally posted on Github, before the repository was archived: https://github.com/npm/npm/issues/21193#issuecomment-404164996

(Kat Marchán) #2

This error literally means that you’re not allowed to perform this operation from your IP address. Do you have 2fa enabled? If so, I recommend you start by disabling it through the website. If that fails, could you put up a private gist with the output of npm run env and link it to me in a private message? There might be some env vars that are making the login confused.

If none of that works, you should send an email to support@npmjs.com because something’s going on with your account specifically and they’ll be able to resolve that for you. I’ll check in with folks in the meantime.

(Ben Carp) #3

Thanks Kat,
I just tried it, and unfortunately it failed. Will continue in private message.

(Ben Carp) #4

I tried to log in from Bash on Ubuntu on Windows (WSL) - same error occurs.
I just tried to log in from PowerShell on a different (recently installed) computer with the same end result.
2FA is not enabled, and I can log in from the browser.
This problem prevents me from updating a package, so please priorities it.

(Kat Marchán) #5

At this point, I think emailing support@npmjs.com is going to be the most helpful.

(Guido Barosio) #6

Fix for this:
npm install basic

(Ben Carp) #7

I just tried “npm install basic” command. Unfortunately it did not solve the problem.