Do I really need to backup my computer to fix the EACES error?

(Kyle) #1

https://docs.npmjs.com/resolving-eacces-permissions-errors-when-installing-packages-globally

1. Back up your computer.

Is there anything that can go bad by not backing up my computer? I’m worried because I don’t exactly have the ability to do that right now. Is there anyway of going about this without having to backup my machine? I’ve tried reinstalling NPM and Node.

(John Gee) #2

Backing up your computer is conservative advice so that if something goes wrong, there is a way to get back to where you were rather than having to fix or undo what you did. (The instruction does serve a useful caution you might make things worse! :face_with_head_bandage: )

As an overview, there are multiple ways of avoiding EACCES errors and they all come down to avoiding the need to use sudo when running global installs. The first two are on the page you linked:

• change the location of the global install location to somewhere you own, by changing where you install node and npm (node version managers typically do this)
  • change the location of the global install location to somewhere you own, by changing npm configuration
  • change the ownership of the global install location

There is an open issue which means more people are hitting EACCES errors: Global installs (sudo npm i -g) fail on Mac after 6.5 upgrade. Works fine after 6.4.1 downgrade.

(system) closed #3

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.