npm Community Forum (Archive)

The npm community forum has been discontinued.

To discuss usage of npm, visit the GitHub Support Community.

Could not install from "git+https@github.com/..." as it does not contain a package.json file.

What I Wanted to Do

npm install

What Happened Instead

mha@mint-virtual-machine ~/neo $ npm install
npm ERR! code ENOLOCAL
npm ERR! Could not install from "git+https@github.com/refinio/one.git" as it does not contain a package.json file.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /home/mha/.npm/_logs/2018-12-23T12_20_36_099Z-debug.log

and in the log file, the last lines are

21 verbose stack Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/mha/neo/git+https@github.com/refinio/one.git/package.json'
22 verbose cwd /home/mha/neo
23 verbose Linux 4.15.0-43-generic
24 verbose argv "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/bin/npm" "install"
25 verbose node v11.5.0
26 verbose npm  v6.5.0
27 error code ENOLOCAL
28 error Could not install from "git+https@github.com/refinio/one.git" as it does not contain a package.json file.
29 verbose exit [ 1, true ]

Reproduction Steps

Private repo, and no idea how I got into that state

Details

I had indeed erroneously removed the package.json file in a commit, I noticed it when “npm install” from another repo for that now broken private Github-URL repo failed.

I FIXED IT THOUGHT, and now there again is a package.json file in master, from which I install via Github URL (see subject line).

npm STILL claims there is no package.json! I did an “npm cache verify” and even an “npm cache clean --force”.

Platform Info

$ npm --versions
{ 'one.neo': '0.2.0',
  npm: '6.5.0',
  ares: '1.15.0',
  cldr: '34.0',
  http_parser: '2.8.0',
  icu: '63.1',
  llhttp: '1.0.1',
  modules: '67',
  napi: '3',
  nghttp2: '1.34.0',
  node: '11.5.0',
  openssl: '1.1.0j',
  tz: '2018e',
  unicode: '11.0',
  uv: '1.24.0',
  v8: '7.0.276.38-node.13',
  zlib: '1.2.11' }

$ node -p process.platform
linuix


Okay, so apparently that URL syntax was the problem. HOWEVER, I had used that exact same syntax for some time and only now was there this problem.