Add --ignore-(script)-scripts

(Tierney Cyren) #1

One of the security issues I hear most commonly is around pre-install/post-install scripts in modules. We’ve only seen a few instances of this actually being maliciously used AFAIK, but it’s one of the ones that people tend to focus on.

From a discussion with Laurie, I was thinking about the possibility of introducing some more granularity to the already existing --ignore-scripts flag. This granularity could hopefully be implemented simply like this:

--ignore-(script)-scripts

Where (script) is the name of an npm script. This could hopefully be a wildcard, which would follow the same behavior that’s documented in the npm scripts documentation:

Additionally, arbitrary scripts can be executed by running npm run-script <stage> . Pre and post commands with matching names will be run for those as well (e.g. premyscript , myscript , postmyscript ). Scripts from dependencies can be run with npm explore <pkg> -- npm run <stage> .

So, if I want to ignore custom scripts OR ignore normalized scripts (like preinstall, posttest, prestart, and so on) I could just run something like the following flags:

npm install --global --ignore-install-scripts
npm i -g --ignore-test-scripts
npx nodemon --ignore-prestart-scripts # I have no clue if this is would be simple but it would be stellar to have the same implementation in npx. If this is contentious/difficult, the main CLI as a priority is 100% okay! 

(Kat Marchán) #2

We don’t run test during install in most cases, unless a separate instance of npm or another package manager is invoked by the script itself (in which case, this flag won’t be passed in). Literally --ignore-install-scripts would have the exact same effect as --ignore-scripts. I’m not sure what the value in this one would be in practice.

(Tierney Cyren) #3

So the value I see from it is that I can be more granular about what I do and don’t want to allow npm scripts to do. For example, if you run the following commands you’ll be able to run the tests of good-first-issue:

git clone git@github.com:bnb/good-first-issue.git
cd good-first-issue
npm i && npm i standard -g && npm i jest -g
npm test

But, if you add the following line to the project’s .npmrc:

ignore-scripts

You can’t run the project’s npm test and I’m guessing you also couldn’t have the the project’s prepublish script be triggered (which is ETOOUSEFUL :grin:). This is an unfortunate workflow destroyer to prevent preinstall and postinstall scripts from being used.

The solution I’ve proposed would be less prescriptive than a command to just block pre/post install scripts while also giving users a suite of control they didn’t have before. If I, for example, wanted to block install scripts and start scripts (I never use npm start so there’s no legit reason those scripts would ever be used), I could add this to my .npmrc:

ignore-install-scripts
ignore-uninstall-scripts
ignore-start-scripts

And the rest of my scripts – like test and prepublish – would work just fine still.

Hopefully that clears up my intent and use case?

(Daniel Stockman) #4

With the exception of the install lifecycle, no script from any dependency (transitive or otherwise) is ever run (okay, prepare for git deps ;p). The only other scripts are local scripts, which I don’t really see the utility of blocking in a granular fashion since one can simply …not run them?

If you always ignore scripts during install, you’ll also break every package with a binary addon (fsevents, etc). It doesn’t seem feasible to develop a heuristic for determining which postinstall lifecycles are “allowed” to run in such a scenario you envision.

(Rebecca Turner) #5

Couple of things:

the npx nodemon --ignore-prestart-scripts doesn’t apply. npx doesn’t run start scripts. It runs bins bundled with the module. If the module is hostile those bins can do whatever. If you could even attach a script (and you can’t) it would have no access that the code in the same module doesn’t already have.

I find the fascination with install scripts as weird, because:

I can just put malicious js in the module instead of in the script and it’ll be loaded the first time you use it. No amount of script hygiene can help you there. And if you look at actual attacks, despite scripts being available, that’s still a popular vector.

So what this gets down to, I’d like to see a discussion of the attack vector that --ignore-install-scripts is supposed to address discussed first, and then how --ignore-install-scripts or related option would actually mitigate it.

(Tierney Cyren) #6

Having worked with large companies that care more about security than about breaking a module here or there, I feel comfortable saying this is a 100% acceptable problem if this is opt-in. I can think of a handful of the world’s largest Node.js and npm users that would turn this on without a second thought and deal with the modules that break.

(Tierney Cyren) #7

100% get this. That said, everyone I talked to who was running nodemon wasn’t using it via npx – it was a devDependency. Not saying npx nodemon users aren’t out there (I’m sure they are), but it wasn’t the common avenue I was seeing. This is of course biased information based on the people I talked to and my own circles (they certainly lean more towards classical Node.js and JavaScript vs. modern Node.js and JavaScript). Nevertheless, these were people who are vocal about security in our ecosystem.

You’re 100% correct. Tooling like Certified Modules can help with this, as can manual code review. Heck, even building your own tooling to do some analysis is possible. I don’t disagree with you at all, but I would add the caveat that I do think they are slightly different.

With npm scripts you can run shell commands without additional tooling/dependencies/code. You don’t need to create a child process. it’s very simple, which is incredible from a DX perspective but perhaps not so much from a security perspective.

This suggestion isn’t meant to solve all security problems, because I honestly think that’s impossible. Nevertheless, it would provide a path to remove one of the lowest barriers to entry for executing malicious code without sacrificing the incredible DX that the npm CLI has built out.

Addressing what you said about the past incidents vs. --ignore-install-scripts. Before left-pad we’d not seen someone delete a module that was so widely depended upon. While not a vulnerability, a few different measures were put into place after the fact. I could be wrong, but I’d guess y’all would have placed those or similar measures into the platform if you’d known left-pad was going to happen to mitigate it proactively. This kind of feature around install scripts (and other scripts, per my definition of the feature should it be accepted!) could certainly be seen in a similar light – a preventative security feature rather than a retroactive one.

As someone who regularly goes to bat for why npm is a good company, why the CLI is a good tool, and why the registry is basic infrastructure for continuing to enable the world to work as it does today, I feel really comfortable saying that perception is reality when it comes to npm and security… and install scripts are one of the issues that creates the strongest negative perception, whether or not they are actually one of the largest issues.

There are definitely people like those who’ve engaged in this thread already who understand the benefits and edge cases of security and the npm ecosystem. There are others who… aren’t there yet.

When others are out there advocating, I’ve seen “but install scripts” come up more often than not as a way to dismiss the npm ecosystem as more of a security risk than the world’s largest registry of instantly useful code. Being able to say there’s a damn simple way to disable that would both help npm advocates in the ecosystem and help individual contributors work more effectively when their teams and companies are more restrictive than is 100% necessary.

Hopefully that clears up some of my thought processes behind this and why I’m on board with your assertion that published code is equally if not more harmful but also think this would be an incredibly valuable, proactive addition.

(Liran Tal) #8

I agree with Tierney’s concern about seemingly poor usability of the ignore-scripts option but seeing a similar suggestion raised in the past and didn’t get traction either I’m not sure what else is required to convince and make the point.

That said, I see Rebecca’s point too with regards to the prestart script perhaps not making much sense. I can’t help but wonder if we’re not over-complicating things and just updating the behavior of ignore-scripts to ignore install (or other lifecycle event scripts) but not an own project general script.

To make it clearer, I’m asking what would be the use-case where a user would want to completely disable all run-scripts?

(Daniel Stockman) #9

Speaking for Lerna, we use --ignore-scripts when calling npm install during lerna bootstrap because we want to run the {pre,post}install lifecycles at a different point in the process (after all the potential symlinks to sibling dependencies have been created), not immediately.

(Liran Tal) #10

Understood and agreed, however that’s a use-case of a tool that wraps npm and is very specific to package installs. Even if I were an avid user of lerna for some project, most of my work with other projects on the npm ecosystem would probably not revolve around lerna or similar tools, and will require me to invoke npm directly.